The HDR UK Public Advisory Board
Health data affects everyone. With a mix of backgrounds and experiences, an interest in health data and a drive to ensure the use of health data can deliver benefits to patients and the public, the group of 10 who make up the Public Advisory Board have had a key role in guiding our work.
They are often called upon for ongoing and ad-hoc requests such as with our annual reviews, writing blogs, giving talks, attending meetings and events, and linking with other areas of work on an individual basis. Since their inception, members have:
- Co-produced our Involvement and Engagement Guiding Principles.
- Inputted into the development of the HDR UK Strategy as well as the Communications Engagement and Involvement Strategy.
- Prioritised areas of work in which they believe the Public Advisory Board will have the most impact within our data access work, ensuring we address the areas that pose the biggest risk for public trust.
- Taken an active role in selection panels for a range of public contributors across our community and for research funding calls.
- Influenced and developed clear criteria for public engagement to be embedded in our Digital Innovation Hub Programme, alongside sitting on the selection panel.
- Supported and advised each of the Health Data Research Hubs as they developed their own patient and public involvement and engagement strategies.
- Shaped content on the Innovation Gateway to ensure it addresses key concerns the public may have whilst also describing the role and purpose of the Gateway in lay language.
- Shaped the direction of COVID-19 specific research and communication.
- Prioritised research questions, helped form the narrative and provided direct feedback on our COVID-19 reporting to SAGE (Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies).
- Developed guidance for public involvement in data access processes across the UK Health Data Research Alliance.
The Public Advisory Board meet regularly, and you can read the summaries of each of our meeting discussions below.
To view the Public Advisory Board Terms of Reference, please click here.