Move into health data science
Health data science is a rapidly-growing area offering abundant opportunities for those wanting to move into the field. HDR UK and the University of Birmingham are working together to develop bespoke training courses enabling people to gain the skills and insights needed to launch a rewarding career where they can make a real difference to health and care.
This first intensive course will explore many aspects of health study design. Participants will also hear from academic and industry-based experts about how they implement studies in the real-world.
Each day will focus on a particular topic:
- The scientific method in health sciences
- Randomised controlled trials and interventional data
- Mendelian randomisation and instrumental variables
- Observational studies and dealing with bias
- Designing an experimental study.
Mornings will consist of lessons and activities, introductions to essential concepts and guest-speaker talks that illustrates a real-world example.
Afternoons will consist of practical computational activities allowing participants to put their new knowledge into practice.
What you will learn
On completion you will:
- Have an understanding of how health studies are conducted
- Understand the difference between interventional and observational health studies
- Be able to identify some suitable study designs for specific health problems
- Understand how study design impacts the potential uses of health data
- Have been introduced to the use of genetics in health studies
- Have applied statistical techniques to account for forms of bias in observational studies
- Be able to design simple interventional studies to test for a particular hypothesis.
Necessary background and experience
No prior health data science experience is necessary but you will need to:
- Have a first degree in a quantitative discipline
- Be familiar with programming in Python or R (or be familiar with programming in general and have the ability and willingness to learn Python or R)
If you have any queries about the immersion weeks, please email email@example.com
Register your interest
Apply and find out more here.
Researcher Roadshow – Exploring Health Data Science
1 March 2023 at 10:00 am
Increase your understanding of roles of health data scientists and value of health data science.
Health Data Research UK wins prestigious diversity and inclusion award
19 December 2022
Earlier in November, Health Data Research UK was awarded first place in the Best diversity and inclusion category 2023 by CorpComms Magazine for their Black Internship Programme campaign.