Purpose of the post
This role is a key member of the Communications and External Affairs Team at HDR UK, reporting to Research Communications Manager and working with colleagues across the Institute and the wider UK health research sector.
As we move into the delivery of our new strategy, the Communications and Content Officer will play a pivotal role in refining our narrative and brand structure, continuing to grow our digital communications and undertaking proactive media relations to achieve the institute’s objectives.
The postholder will:
- Generate a wide range of compelling and engaging content to support HDR UK’s communications strategy, in line with key messages and overall objectives
- Manage and improve our communication channels, producing content to reach core audiences, including researchers and the public, and leveraging partner support to achieve the best results
- Support the Communications and External Affairs team in raising HDR UK’s profile and through demonstrating our impact in uniting the UK’s health data to improve people’s lives across digital channels, media and events
Who are we looking for?
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious communications professional with a health/science background and a passion for delivering high-quality communications and content.
This role would be a good fit for someone who is enthusiastic about digital and social media, with strong writing skills and creative ideas to maintain and build our online presence.
Working as part of a small but busy communications team, you will have exceptional organisation skills, be comfortable with working at pace and have an agile, flexible approach to work. This role works with teams across the institute and with external partners, therefore you must be comfortable working both as part of a team and independently. You will need to have a proactive, enthusiastic and collaborative approach and will be comfortable working in an environment where there are sometimes contrasting views.
- Work with internal teams and external partners to identify and write compelling and engaging content on HDR UK’s strategic priorities, including news stories, blogs, opinion pieces, case studies, newsletters, posts for social media channels and toolkits for partners
- Work with the Research Communications Manager to support communications with a specific focus on scientific and research impact
- Manage the content planner, strategically scheduling content to optimise engagement and meet organisational objectives and timelines
- Lead on the production of audio-visual content and managing creative freelancers, including videographers and photographers.
- Support and promote key external events and develop written and audio-visual content from events
- Work collaboratively with the wider team to ensure HDR UK’s communications are insight-led, user-oriented and both accessible to and shaped by the public and patients
- Champion effective use of the HDR UK brand with support from the Research Communications Manager
- Carry out day-to-day management and posting of content on our social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube) in line with the communications strategy.
- Share expertise and best practice in social media with other staff members running social accounts
- Publish engaging content on Health Data Research UK’s websites, ensuring the websites are up to date and adhere to brand guidelines
- Deliver email communications via our CRM system
Monitoring and reporting
- Monitor HDR UK’s social channels and media coverage
- Support the organisation’s use of our CRM system, ensuring contact information is up-to-date
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager to review analytics on engagement with social channels and around specific campaigns and use these insights to further develop content
- HDR UK is dedicated to continuous improvement through our quality management system and has achieved ISO 9001 accreditation. The post-holder will review, analyse, identify and implement opportunities for quality improvement within their role and as part of the wider team through our strategy development and internal audit processes.
Experience and knowledge
- A strong understanding of science / health research and ability to synthesise complex, technical information into succinct, crisp copy Experience of creating compelling content for digital and social media channels
- Experiencing in managing social media channels in a professional capacity
- Ability to produce visual digital content using tools such as Canva
- Experience of website publishing using a CMS
- Ability to write briefs for and manage freelancers and agencies to deliver a range of written and visual content
- Understanding of metrics and reporting for communications activities
- Knowledge in Adobe design software
- Experience of using an organisation-wide CRM to support communications objectives; e.g. segmentation for email campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate scientific content effectively and confidently with people at all levels
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent editorial and proofreading skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent planning, organisation and time-management skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with resilience and adaptability
- Proficient IT skills
How to apply: Unless specified, please apply using our online portal. We use a recruitment process that is based on finding out more about the relevant skills and knowledge an applicant has and to help us with this we ask you 3 or 4 skills-based questions as part of the application process.
We will ask you to upload your CV and covering letter, please do this in one document, this will be anonymised and will be used if you are shortlisted.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any queries regarding your application.
Applications for this role will close at 5pm on the 14th of June.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert at any time.
PhD Opportunity – Biomedical Data Science
Applications close 22 December 2023
Applications are invited by 22 December, 2023 for an HDR UK-funded PhD at the University of Cambridge in the application of biomedical data science to understand the aetiologies of common...
PhD Opportunity – Multi-omics in Population Cohorts
Applications close 22 December 2023
Applications are invited by 22 December, 2023 for an HDR UK-funded PhD at the University of Cambridge applying multi-omics in population cohorts to study common complex diseases.