Purpose of the post
Building on the goals and focus areas set out above, we are seeking to appoint a Data Science & Research Manager for the HDR Global programme. The role holder will provide specialist data science advice and inputs in all four areas outlined above, with a particular focus on developing data science capability, strengthening the health data research ecosystem and supporting pathfinder studies, including mapping and development of approaches for accelerating the health data research cycle.
The successful candidate will be expected to work within the HDR Global team, collaborating closely with our key strategic partners: The Global Health Network, Fiocruz (Latin America & Caribbean), International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh (Asia) and African Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa).
The post would suit a data scientist with an excellent understanding of the global health data ecosystem and significant experience in health data research in LMICs. This should include experience of working with a range of country and regional research studies that address public health challenges and involve health data management, curation, access and analysis.
Main responsibilities of the role are to:
- Provide advice and input to country, regional and global pathfinder projects, with a particular focus on action research methodology studies to identify and share approaches to unblocking and accelerate the health data science cycle
- Coordinate global tracking and coordination of the methodology pathfinder research studies that are planned and ongoing
- Collaborate on and coordinate writing of funding applications, reports and papers
- Work with our partners’ Data Science Leads and Regional Data Coordinators to support regional data science initiatives, including webinars/events, the development of toolkits and wider resources
- Contribute to development of the Global Health Data Science digital hub, ensuring appropriate resources are openly available and best meet the needs of the global health data science community, including protocols, data capture and analytical tools and methodologies
- Maintain and share knowledge of developments in the global health data ecosystem and contribute to enabling trustworthy data infrastructure and governance
- Work with our regional partners to facilitate and support a global network of data science champions.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Higher degree or equivalent experience in a relevant subject area, including: bioinformatics, biostatistics, computer science, medicine, data science, medical science
- At least 5 years’ experience working in roles involving the management of global health data research studies, together with experience and in-depth knowledge of the publication process for research and/or technical papers in health data science
- Experience of working with or in low to middle income settings
- Good understanding and practical knowledge of the global health data landscape, challenges and ecosystem
- Demonstrable data science expertise and experience using a variety of tools and methodologies, including knowledge of one or more of the following languages: R, SQL, Python, STATA, Scala
- Knowledge of commonly used terminologies and standards in health data (e.g. ICD10, SNOMED, FHIR)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and confidently with people at all levels, including senior management
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work independently as well as manage competing priorities and issues under time pressures
- Strong team player, with strong intercultural skills and ability to work collaboratively across regions
Invitation to Tender: Support with Recruitment to Board of Trustees
Applications close 17 February 2023
HDR UK is seeking an agency to assist with the recruitment of a new Chair and potentially also a Deputy Chair to join our Board of Trustees. The selected agency must offer excellent value for...
BHF Data Science Centre Deputy Director
Applications close 7 March 2023
Purpose of this post: At HDR UK, we employ talented individuals who bring unique skills and experience to support our vision and benefit the whole team. We are looking for an exceptional and...
Invitation To Tender – Freelance Video Editor Support 2023
Applications close 3 February 2023
Editors for Futures We require additional support (project-led) with video editing for our Continuous Professional Development programmes, for our virtual learning environment, Health Data...